Maharashtrian aamti recipe is such a tasty and flavorful yet extremely consoling and enjoyable dal. The importance of aamti is that, “any curry or dal dish which has acidic ingredients, for this situation called tamarind”. So this is called Maharashtrian Aamti style of dal recipe with touch of sourness.
- 1 cup(s) split red gram (tuvar dal)
- 4 glass water
- ½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon(s) jaggery
- 1 teaspoon(s) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon(s) each of mustard and cumin seeds
- 3 piece ginger finely chopped
- 4 small green chilies finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (gram masala)
- asafetida and salt to taste
- finely chopped coriander leaves
Preparation Method of Maharashtra Aamti
- Heat the water up in an overwhelming bottomed pot and drip the split red gram into it.
- Put it to a Heat. As it heats, include the tamarind paste, jaggery, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook on low heat for 12 minutes until the gram is smothy but not mashed. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a skillet till extremely hot. Include the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Now, include the grilling and the asafetida. Fry on low heat for 1 minute(s) or till the grilling are a shade darker.
- Add to this the cooked gram mixture.
- Include the sliced coriander leaves, green chilies and ginger.
- Cook covered on a low heat for 4 minutes.
- Garnish with the gram masala and keep covered for a while before serving.
- Serve with rice or roti.
- Enjoy the Maharashtrian aamti with your family.